What is the Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility (IDEA) committee?
The IDEA Committee is a working group that was founded to host and amplify discussions around representation, inclusivity, equity and accessibility in the Communications profession. IABC/Toronto has the benefit of a multicultural membership that includes both new and experienced communicators.
In June 2020, IABC/Toronto’s leadership and membership began dialogue on how the association could better champion and meet the needs of its diverse membership. These, and further methods for collecting feedback will help the IDEA Committee create recommendations on how to incorporate impactful strategies at the Board level. The committee’s goal is to ensure that communicators across the GTA feel supported and represented, and that IDEA strategies are consistently implemented, evaluated, and ever-evolving.
Our 2020 – 2021 Goals
- Complete an audit and compile a report of current IABC and IABC/Toronto resources, initiatives and statements focused on inclusion, diversity, inclusivity and accessibility (IDEA). Originally planned for completion mid-October 2020, this is currently still IN PROGRESS
- Host two or three Open Forum discussions, by mid-October, to gather IDEA-related suggestions, recommendations or comments on gaps and possible strategies and tactics that IABC/Toronto can take to best support communicators across the GTA. – COMPLETED
- Create a survey and collect feedback, by December 2020, about which changes, initiatives and/or resources will be the most impactful and/or offer the most support. – IN PROGRESS
- Create and present a report to the Board of Directors, by February 2021, with both immediate and long-term recommendations on how to support and promote inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility within our community.
2021 – 2022 Goals
- Evaluate recommendations implemented from the 2020-2021 report.
- Measure the impact of IDEA initiatives and resources.
- Create and present a report to the Board of Directors, by February 2022 with updated recommendations that reflect findings from measurement and evaluation.
Get to know our IDEA Committee members
Committee Chair: Lindsay Grillet, CAAT Pension Plan
Board Representative: Alice Namu, LightHouse Communications Consultants
Survey Manager: Pamela Bishop-Byers, Nuclear Waste Management Organization
Recommendations Manager: Michelle Jamieson, Innovation Asset Collective
IDEA Auditor: Matthew Collis, Ontario College of Pharmacists
IDEA Auditor: Jeannette Holder, PwC Canada
IDEA Auditor: Krista Henry, Performance Auto Group
IDEA Auditor: Ibhaze Uduehi, APEXA Corp.